Comment on page
What are categories?
Categories are useful when you have a concept that's broken down into different categories (hence the name!). Examples:
- Number of customers broken down by Geography
- Revenue broken down by Product Type
- Ad spend broken down by Marketing Channel
The bold items above are categories. Within a category, there will be multiple category items:
Using categories means:
- Less formula duplication - you write one Revenue formula, and Causal automatically applies the logic across category items (e.g. each Product Type) for you.
- Less formula re-work - when you want to change the formula logic, you just change it one place for all category items. When you add new category items (e.g. a new Product Type, Model Y), you just add them to the category list, and Causal handles the rest.
There are two main spaces to interact with categories: