Creating and linking categories
There are two main spaces to interact with categories:
The key difference is that the Data Tables:
- Create a new category via the + icon at the bottom-panel of the spreadsheet.
- Give categories an icon to distinguish them, by clicking the icon next to the category name
Add new category items in the bottom row of the Data Tables, or the standalone category page, where it says New Item.
All category items for a category must be unique, i.e. you cannot have two duplicate category items.
Often, there will be a relationship between categories. For example, assigning each Employee to a Job Title, or assigning each Deal to a Sales Rep. To link categories, click the + in the far-right column (via the Data Tables, or the standalone category workspace) and select the Link category option.
This will create an extra column in the data table, letting you map the two categories together (e.g. giving each Employee a Location).
You can show/hide indirect category mappings in the Data Tables, or on the standalone category page. Here's an example:
- If each
Title, and each
Titlesits within a
Team, then each Employee sits within a
- The "indirect" category mapping is from the
- When in the
Employeecategory, you can reveal the
Teamof each employee by hitting the ">" next to
Titlein the header
1-to-1 vs. 1-to-many relationships
- Linked categories have a 1-to-1 relationship, i.e. each category item in the primary category links to only one category item in the linked category. Each Employee may only have one Job Title, for instance.
- Causal's categories are not designed for 1-to-many relationships, i.e. one Job Title cannot sit within multiple Departments.
To paste data in (e.g. from a spreadsheet), simply copy your data, then select your row/s, and paste (Ctrl/Cmd + V). Causal will "paste over" whatever row/s you had selected. If you don't want to paste over what you have already in the Data Table, then create a New Item at the bottom of the table (you may have to take off alphabetical sorting if you have that applied), select that New Item, and paste over that.